Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Attractive, me?

I just saw "Date Night" with Tina Fey and Steve Carell. WAY better than I thought it would be. Clever dialogue, good concept, blah blah blah. Will NOT change your life, but better than 2/3 of what's out there.

But I found myself personally injured by a concept in there. Steve and Tina are man and wife. They have issues of sexual boredom, taking each other for granted. But the thing that got me was, they knew they were somewhat attractive. Steve talks about needing to work out more. Tina is pleased that Steve finds her sexy in a hooker-y outfit ("I can't stop staring at your boobs"). She can ACCEPT that he finds her sexy.

I simply do not think of myself as physically attractive. Mentally attractive to the right kind of person, I can buy that. That someone would want to suck my face and get their neurons indirectly agitated by me I believe, it is an extension of an exciting conversation. But that someone would look at me and just from looking at me, be excited, or take that first step towards excitement, I simply don't believe it. Not in a rational sense of don't believe it, but in a neurotic sense.

I don't know what to do with this information, but here it is.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:38 PM

    Enjoying your writing. It feels as if I am drinking coffee and listening to an interesting conversation. All your posts made me want to comment and that never happens. I could not read so many books at once. I like to alternate between a fun book (mystery) and Intelligent literature (classic) but I need to write all over them to keep the characters straight. I had to google Mosaic Down Syndrome and I will read more on the subject. I had assumed that those children were easily identifiable by their features. Unfortunately for me, Your Faster than light travel! post left me confused but I plan to read the links to hopefully get it because I love sci-fi. "Is it just some pure mammalian emotionality?" made me laugh and upon further reflection, I thought you may be one of those hostile visiting aliens that Stephen Hawking was postulating about during the week. "To the extent they are able to get in the neighborhood of 1+1=3, those minds are on drugs or otherwise having their tight connection to the world attenuated. " or a first grader! I have never heard that position in the HCR debate: I may have to steal it! Finally, I did not see "Date Night" because I tend to wait for dvd releases. I just saw "The Blind side" and it was as good as the reviews claimed (add tear-jerker too). Of course, people want to be seen as attractive (a curse for women) but I don't think It is the most important factor in the chemistry of attraction. I always tell my kids that there is someone out there for everyone and my own serendipitous story is proof enough for them. I will keep reading to follow your story, rational and or neurotic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous12:11 PM

      Thanks so much for the comment and attention! I tend to think NO ONE is reading ANY of this, probably related to my not being able to imagine someone being physically attracted to me. It is good to know that at least one reader who cares enough to comment responds to these posts the way I think of them. Cheers!

      Delete